Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Underground Ride

“This stop: Gloucester Road Station. Next stop: High Street Kensington. Please mind the gap between the train and the platform.” The young man and woman rushed through the sliding doors of the 5:05 underground as they slid shut. The train jolted to a start as the two found open seats in the back end of the car, crushed up against empty crisp wrappers and half-filled water bottles.
The woman pulled an envelope out of her bag and offered it to the man, who subtly shook his head and made no motion to take it. She took a calming breath and returned it to her bag. “I’m glad we did this. I’ve enjoyed myself,” she said as she set her bag on the ground, carefully avoiding spills and dirt. He nodded and sat in silence next to her, just staring at their dim, dirty reflection in the window across from them. The seat’s worn out cushion hard and uncomfortable beneath him.
“Are you happy then?” He asked finally, turning to face her. “And not just about dinner, but about everything? The way things have happened?”
“You know, I am. I know that may seem odd, but really I am.” Her eyes echoed her words, reflecting that happiness. Her entire countenance just shone with joy and excitement.
“Then I am happy.” He said matter-of-factly before turning back to the grimy reflection. He couldn’t help but notice how the scratches and grime on the window paired with the dim, gray cement behind it made him look so much older. Or how happy she still seemed to look next to his crumpled figure. He tapped his foot in minor frustration.
“I know it isn’t what you wanted, I know how hard this is for you. Believe me, I’m not trying to force you into anything. But it wasn’t in my plan. You know that, don’t you? I didn’t plan for this to happen. It just did. But now I’m very happy, I hope you can understand that.” She grabbed his hand and gently squeezed, bringing his attention back to her pale face and short black curls, the sparkle in her baby blue eyes. The man sighed and nodded, giving her hand a short squeeze in return.
“I know.” He gave her a smile, trying his hardest to make it sincere, not thinking he succeeded. She smiled in return, guess she bought it. His face faded again, “It just isn’t how I saw things happening. This wasn’t in my plan for life, or for us.” The woman gave him a sympathetic smile and squeezed his hand again before drawing it away. His eyes trailed after her hand as it left his, leaving the spot feeling cold and empty.
“Well, I think that things will still work out. I just hope you can get used to it. I don’t want us to drift apart. You mean so much to me, you always have and always will. While you’re happy for me now, I hope that in time you can be happy for you.” The train began slowing, the many people standing in the humid London train swayed with the motion.
“Next stop: High Street Kensington. Please mind the gap between the train and the platform.” She nervously began spinning the ring on her left hand, still so new and unfamiliar on her finger. He watched her do it, straining to not notice the size and splendor of the gem or what it represented, but still said nothing in response.

“I’m still really glad I saw you.” The woman got up slowly, steadying herself on the handrail next to her as the train stopped. “I had a great time. And I hope to see you again soon,” she said as she handed him the envelope he had earlier refused. She grabbed her bag and sashayed out the sliding door once it opened, hurrying to beat the rest of the busy evening, city traffic. She waved quickly before disappearing completely on the escalator leaving the tube station, leaving the man looking down in disbelief at the invitation tightly gripped in his hands as the train took off again.

No comments:

Post a Comment